Accredited museums must be properly constituted and hold their collections in trust for public benefit.
- Has the correct governance document been provided?
- Is the governing document clear?
- Is the museum operating under an assumed constitutional structure rather than the actual/legal body?
- Is the name of the organisation consistent with its governing body?
- Which regulatory regime applies?
- Does the evidence provided match information held by the relevant regulatory bodies such as the Charities Commission, the Office of the Scottish Charity Regulator, HMRC, Companies House or Act of Parliament?
- For applications from museums which are associated with major public and charitable institutions, for example police services and national charities, does the museum form a genuine part of the organisation and perform a specific function, rather than a tolerated ‘hobby’ of an individual?