CALL FOR PAPERS - PRESENTATIONS & WORKSHOPS
South West Fed Conference 2020, Bath Spa University, 9 & 10 July
The South West Fed requests proposals for the fifth two-day conference to be held at Bath Spa University. The South West Fed’s annual conference is the networking event for multi-disciplinary practitioners working in the heritage the sector in the whole South West region. The conference theme for 2020 is 'Interpreting, curating and combatting the climate emergency’.
Presentations and workshops will explore and discuss how museums and heritage sites can (a) contribute to increasing public awareness and civic engagement, and (b) develop sustainable practices which will mitigate and adapt to the climate emergency. We are looking for contributions which will inspire delegates and give them practical examples to take away and work with in their own organisations.
Following positive feedback from 2019, the 2020 Conference will again be held over two days. Across the two days we will provide a variety of topics for discussion and workshops that will focus on the different ways we can respond to the challenges posed by climate change. Each day will contain a combination of presentations and workshops that provide valuable CPD opportunities to consider this challenge and provide inspiring examples of how this can be done well.
All papers will be curated in order to provide coherent strands within the overarching conference themes for those able / wishing to attend both days and in order to provide the maximum training value to as many delegates as possible.
Possible areas of inquiry include but are not limited to:
• Climate activism and heritage
• Collecting and curating climate change and its impact(s)
• Collections management and development
• Digital engagement
• Energy sustainability
• Finance and funding for a sustainable future
• Interpretation and design
• Learning programmes
• Outreach initiatives
• Partnerships, collaboration and working with Higher Education
• Sustainable site maintenance and development
We welcome proposals (maximum 250 words) for:
• Presentations in the main conference hall (30 minutes)
• Workshops (1 hour)
Proposals must include:
• Job title and/or subject specialism (professor, independent scholar, museums officer, manager, artist, entrepreneur, graduate student, or undergraduate student, member of the SW Emerging Museums Partnership).
• Availability over the two conference days.
• Contact information.
• Provisional title. Please specify whether the proposal is for a presentation or workshop.
• A clear explanation of why the presentation/workshop is significant and how it links to the conference theme.
• Outline content. For workshops this must include suggested activities for participants.
The South West Fed will provide one free speaker ticket per presentation/workshop for one day of the conference.
Proposals should be submitted by no later than FRIDAY 24 JANUARY 2020. Submit electronically to email@example.com or by postal mail at the following address:
South West Fed Events Secretary (Conference)
41 Old Exeter Road