Stonehenge Visitor Volunteer - English Heritage Trust
Posted December 27, 2018 at 16:27 PM
Why does English Heritage need my support? We are looking for volunteers to provide a warm and friendly welcome for all our visitors at Stonehenge, helping us to deliver a world-class visitor experience.
How much time will I be expected to give?
There is no minimum commitment, but we hope that you will volunteer regularly. Shifts are either in the morning, afternoon, or the whole day if you prefer. The times are flexible, so if you have other commitments that’s fine.
Everyone is invited to a recruitment event and induction training before volunteering can start. These happen every month.
Where will I be based?
Stonehenge, Amesbury, Wiltshire SP4 7DE
What will I be doing?
This role is all about people; helping the team by engaging with our visitors to provide a world class experience. As a Visitor Volunteer you could help the team with:
• Engaging with visitors around the site to answer questions and provide information • Welcoming visitors to Stonehenge and providing a brief orientation of the site
• Encouraging visitors to explore the archaeologically rich landscape • Providing information to visitors to help them enjoy and plan their visit • Assisting with events • Welcoming tour groups • Encouraging people to take an audio tour or download it from our website • Engaging with people at the touching stones
• Helping visitors with dogs to plan their walks and visits.
What skills, qualities and experience do I need?
This role would suit people who are: • Confident and enjoy meeting new people • Have a passion for Stonehenge • Are happy to work as part of a team
• Are flexible and enthusiastic • Can communicate effectively with other members of the team and the public
• Are happy to work on their feet for several hours, outdoors.
What will English Heritage expect from me? • To be the friendly face of English Heritage and deliver excellent customer service • To be reliable in attendance and dependable • Help us maintain the highest standards of presentation at our sites and properties • To wear English Heritage volunteer uniform where provided • Help us protect our properties and collections by understanding and following our security and safety procedures • Maintain good working relationships with staff, other volunteers and members of the public • Attend appropriate training and learn about the work of English Heritage • Observe organisational policy and procedures • Safeguard confidential information about English Heritage and let us know about anything relating to your role or the work of English Heritage that you think might be controversial • Any documentary or other material (including any copyright applying thereto) you are provided with or which is created by you in respect of your volunteering will be the property and copyright of English Heritage (unless otherwise agreed in writing).
What can I expect from English Heritage?
• A welcoming and enjoyable experience • To be treated fairly and with respect • Recognition and appreciation for your contribution • A full induction and training programme with on-going support • A volunteer pass allowing free entry to English Heritage properties is available on completion of 60 hours and four months of volunteering • Reimbursement of reasonable travel costs between home and volunteering location within agreed limits • A certificate for your personal profile to demonstrate work carried out for English Heritage is available on request to show future employers or further education providers • You will be covered by English Heritage’s own indemnity arrangements in respect of all liabilities that may result from your appointment as a volunteer.
You can find out more information at:
Please register your interest by completing and submitting the online Volunteer Registration Form.
If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.
Organisation name: The English Heritage Trust, Stonehenge