Posted January 02, 2019 at 13:01 PM
How much time will I be expected to give?
There is no minimum commitment, but we hope that you will volunteer regularly. Shifts are either in the morning, afternoon, or the whole day if you prefer. The times are flexible, so if you have other commitments that’s fine.
Everyone is invited to a recruitment event and induction training before volunteering can start. These happen every month.
Where will I be based?
Stonehenge, Amesbury, Wiltshire SP4 7DE
We promote sustainable transport to Stonehenge and where possible we encourage volunteers to make use of the options.
What will I be doing?
• Welcoming people to the exhibition.
• Interpreting the collections and artefacts to visitors in a fun and engaging way.
• Answer any questions visitors might have about the history and archaeology.
• Use the replica handling collection to bring the objects to life.
• Assisting with exhibition events.
• Alerting staff if there are any security issues in the exhibition.
What skills, qualities and experience do I need?
This role would suit people who are:
• Confident and enjoy meeting new people from all over the world.
• A thirst for knowledge and a desire to share your passion for Stonehenge.
• Are happy to work as part of a team.
• Are flexible and enthusiastic.
• Can communicate effectively with other members of the team and visitors from around the world.
• Are happy to work on their feet for several hours.
What will English Heritage expect from me?
• To be the friendly face of English Heritage and deliver excellent customer service.
• To be reliable in attendance and dependable.
• Help us maintain the highest standards of presentation at our sites and properties.
• To wear English Heritage volunteer uniform where provided.
• Help us protect our properties and collections by understanding and following our security and safety procedures.
• Maintain good working relationships with staff, other volunteers and members of the public.
• Attend appropriate training and learn about the work of English Heritage.
• Observe organisational policy and procedures.
• Safeguard confidential information about English Heritage and let us know about anything relating to your role or the work of English Heritage that you think might be controversial.
• Any documentary or other material (including any copyright applying thereto) you are provided with or which is created by you in respect of your volunteering will be the property and copyright of English Heritage (unless otherwise agreed in writing).
What can I expect from English Heritage?
• A welcoming and enjoyable experience.
• To be treated fairly and with respect.
• Recognition and appreciation for your contribution.
• A full induction and training programme with on-going support.
• A volunteer pass allowing free entry to English Heritage properties is available on completion of 60 hours and four months of volunteering.
• Reimbursement of reasonable travel costs between home and volunteering location within agreed limits
• A certificate for your personal profile to demonstrate work carried out for English Heritage is available on request to show future employers or further education providers.
• You will be covered by English Heritage’s own indemnity arrangements in respect of all liabilities that may result from your appointment as a volunteer.
You can find out more information at: https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/support-us/volunteer/#1/10/Stonehenge Please register your interest by completing and submitting the online Volunteer Registration Form. If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Organisation name: The English Heritage Trust, Stonehenge
Contact name: Sue Martindale
Contact phone number: 01793414752
Location: Stonehenge Visitor Centre, Amesbury, Wiltshire SN7 4DE
Deadline for completed applications: Sunday 01 December 2019
Have a look at more jobs listings in the sector by clicking here