Posted August 02, 2019 at 11:15 AM
Contract: This is a permanent post.
Hours: 15 hours per week. There will be occasions when additional hours working is required and this may include weekends or evenings.
Reports to: Director
Principal Working relationships:
(Interpretation/Learning Manager), Deputy Learning Manager, Director, Head of Engagement, Volunteer Coordinator, Visitor Services.
Purpose of the post
The main purpose of the post is to manage the abbey collections to the best professional standards possible to maintain Accreditation, ensuring appropriate care and documentation and to provide support for the Interpretation/Learning Manager in making collections available to the public through displays, research, interpretation, exhibitions, loans etc.
This job description sets out the principal accountabilities of the post. It does not include every task necessary to fulfil the purpose of the post.
Main areas of responsibility
Collections care and conservation
• Manage all aspects of preventative conservation, including environmental management, light monitoring and pest management
• Research and source conservation materials, equipment and services as required
• Manage any conservation of objects, including production of condition reports, conservation surveys, commissioning conservation services, maintaining conservation records
• Manage collections storage areas ensuring their maintenance, cleaning and security
• Plan, manage and document the safe movement of objects
• Liaise with the Head of Estates on the security, safety and maintenance of collections display areas
• Maintain and develop an emergency plan and ensure procedures and equipment are in place to support its implementation if required
• Manage loans from the museum collections and from external organisations for exhibitions etc.
• Manage all collections documentation and records in both paper and electronic formats.
• Manage the collections management system (Modes) and training in its use for staff and volunteers
Access to Collections
• Respond to enquiries about the museum collections and image requests and maintain records of enquiries
• Facilitate researchers’ access to the collections and maintain records
• Support planned research on the abbey and its collections as required
• Support abbey staff in providing items for exhibitions, displays and learning activities
• Provide information to staff on collections for press releases, publications information sheets, trails and learning activities, exhibitions and displays, grant applications etc as required
• Manage access to the reference library
• To assist in ensuring effective working relationships are established and maintained with organisations and agencies relevant to the work of Glastonbury Abbey
• To ensure effective and accessible communication with other members of staff, visitors, service users, the general public and others as appropriate and in line with policy
• Observe equal opportunities, with respect to both visitors and members of staff. Treat everyone with respect and tolerance, regardless of faith, nationality, gender and sexual orientation
• Observe all Health and Safety at Work procedures as set out by Glastonbury Abbey. Be responsible for your own personal health and safety and that of others, including visitors
• Observe all other policies and procedures as set out by Glastonbury Abbey.
Any other tasks agreed with your line manager.
A Disclosure and Barring Service check (DBS) will not be required for this job role.
The post holder will be based in the Gatehouse in the short – medium term, a medieval listed building with offices and stores based on the first and second floors. There is no lift. There are also external stores on site. The work will mostly take place in the office environment but will involve visits to the abbey site itself, which has uneven surfaces and other listed buildings with staircases. The job may involve occasional attendance at a range of venues, usually offices or public venues.
The work does require some physical effort for lifting and carrying collections boxes and ladders for access to upper shelving.
Please visit https://www.glastonburyabbey.com/job-vacancies.php for further information
Organisation name: Glastonbury Abbey
Contact name: Nic Phillips
Contact phone number: 01458832267
Contact website: http://www.glastonburyabbey.com
Type: Part-time (permanent)
Location: Glastonbury, Somerset, UK
Deadline for completed applications: Tuesday 20 August 2019
Have a look at more jobs listings in the sector by clicking here