Representing the South West’s Museum and Art Gallery Sector
The South Western Federation of Museums and Art Galleries (the SW Fed) is a voluntary subscription based organisation, representing the museum sector along with Art Galleries in the South West of England. It is a company limited by guarantee (No 05536131) with charitable status (charity No 1113399).
The Federation was formed in 1931 and since then has continued to be the one truly representative and independent voice for museums and the paid and volunteer staff who work in them.
What we do
- We represent and support the museums and galleries of the South West, along with their workers and supporters
- We provide resources and coordinate training for staff and volunteers within the heritage sector
- We promote the value and benefits of the South West’s museums and art galleries, especially to stakeholders and funders
- We provide the mechanism for exchanging information, encouraging each other and using co-operation and partnerships to further all our work
- We provide an umbrella body for regional subject specialist groups – currently just the SW Implement Petrology Group
Representing museums in the South West
The Federation represents the views and interests of museums in the South West to a range of bodies including:
- Arts Council England (ACE)
- SW Museum Development Partnership
- Major Partner Museums: Bristol Museum & Art Gallery, Royal Albert Memorial Museum, Plymouth Museum & Art Gallery and Cornwall Museums Partnership
- Association of Independant Museums
- British Association of Friends of Museums
- National Trust
- Museums Association
Governance of the South Western Federation of Museums and Art Galleries
Our business is handled by a Board with at least one representative from each county and an observer each from Arts Council England and the SW Museum Development Partnership . Representatives from the National Trust, the Museums Association, the British Association of Friends of Museums (BAfM) and the Association of Independent Museums (AIM) also attend Board meetings. The committee meets every quarter with full membership meetings at the AGM in early summer.
Who can join?
Any museum or art gallery, their paid and volunteer staff, supporters and all those with an interest in the museum sector from within the historic counties of Bristol, Cornwall & the Isles of Scilly, Devon, Dorset, Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire and the Channel Islands. Go to the Membership pages for more information.
Rules & Memorandum and Articles of Association
These may be downloaded here: